So you own a painting company and you need to generate new business… where do you start?
Quality painting leads can be difficult to find, especially if you’re looking in the wrong place. Here we have compiled a comprehensive guide that covers online painting contractor marketing ideas, door-to-door marketing strategies, and painter advertising tactics that are guaranteed to get your phone ringing.
How do I get more leads as a painter?
Top 20 Online Advertising Ideas for Painters in 2023
- Configure and Optimize your Google Business Profile (Formerly known as Google My Business)
- Ask Customers to Leave a Review for your Painting Company
- Create a Website for your Painting Business
- Website: Make it Easy to Get in Touch
- Emphasize your Unique Selling Points
- Attract New Painting Leads with Local SEO
- Create Videos for YouTube
- Get Creative with Content Marketing
- Use Facebook and Instagram for Residential Leads
- Post Regularly on Social Media
- Use Facebook Groups
- Capture Painting Leads Using Social Media Retargeting
- Use LinkedIn for Commercial Painting Leads
- Create an Email Marketing Mailing List
- Incentivize Referrals
- Advertise with Google Ads (PPC)
- Apply for Google Local Services Ads (Get Google Guaranteed!)
- Expand your Digital Footprint with Online Directories/Citations
- Advertise on Craigslist
- Don’t use Shared Lead Services
Guerrilla Marketing Tactics
Top 10 Strategies to Market your Painting Services Offline
- Find Industry Partners
- Co-market with Another Local Business
- Register with your Chamber of Commerce
- Tape your Business Card to Used Paint Cans
- Send Direct Mailers
- Use Lawn Signs
- Track Your Local Storms
- Leverage Trade Shows
- Take Quality Before/After Photos
- Market to Family and Friends
- BONUS: Contact Base Coat Marketing
Digital Marketing Tactics for Painting Contractors
To be considered the best painting company in town you need to get your name out there. The quick and easy way to accomplish this is by investing in online marketing.
While most of these strategies are effective, they can get expensive, particularly with online ads. As a result, we focused this article on proven online marketing strategies that painting companies of all sizes can implement, today.
1. Configure and Optimize your Google Business Profile (Formerly known as Google My Business)
Your Google Business Profile is a free digital marketing service that is critical for ranking your painting company on Google local search and on Google Maps. We have a detailed step-by-step guide to configuring and optimizing your Google Business Profile, but if you’re looking for a quick rundown to optimize this profile for free painting leads see our quick-start guide below.
First, start by claiming your profile here. This may require phone or business address verification so be prepared for delays as this is something that could require a physical postcard to claim. Once you have access to your listing you will want to add as much information to this profile as possible.
Start with the “Info” tab. Keep your business name, address, and phone number consistent with any other online references to your painting business (this includes your website and social media accounts). For instance, if your Facebook Page doesn’t contain “LLC” in the business name, neither should your Google Business Profile. Some of the ways you can improve your profile are by:
According to Google, local Google Map rankings are determined by prominence, distance, and relevance. Their search algorithm uses all this information to determine which businesses offer the best and most relevant services for a potential painting lead. While you can’t change distance or relevance, you do have control over prominence, which directly impacts how your painting company ranks online.
2. Ask Customers to Leave a Review for your Painting Business
To improve the prominence of your painting business ask your customers to leave a review after your job is complete. Online reviews are a primary ranking factor for your Google Business Profile so don’t skip this step. Plus, it’s a great way to show off those satisfied customers. When you complete a service, simply thank your customer for choosing your painting business and provide them a link to leave a review.
3. Create a Website for your Painting Business
If you want to scale your painting company, you need to capture new painting leads. If you want to capture new painting leads, you need a website.
Before you invest a dollar into online advertising or digital marketing services for your painting company, you need to get your business online. Think of it as a business investment. A well-optimized website is the single best way to reach your target market online.
Don’t have a website yet? Good news! We have a few affordable recommendations to get your painting business up and running with a brand new website.
For those already established, we compiled a list of essential elements your website needs to convert traffic into closed painting jobs.
4. Website: Make it Easy to Get in Touch
You need to make it EASY for your customers to contact you. For best results, eliminate any barriers and provide as many contact options as possible. Every page on your website should include the following:
The more variety of contact options you provide your website visitors the more likely they are to convert into a painting lead.
5. Emphasize your Unique Selling Points
What sets your painting business apart from other local painting companies?
This is truly one of the easiest online marketing strategies you can implement today. For instance, even if your competition offers exact same warranty as you do, if you have it listed on your website and they don’t, then you become the local painting authority.
While converting traffic into paying customers can be challenging, getting traffic to your website in the first place can be even more difficult. This is where SEO comes in…
6. Attract New Painting Leads with Local SEO
Search engine optimization, or SEO, improves your chances of ranking in Google search results organically (without paying for ads). We have a definitive SEO guide for painting contractors, but for quick-wins, here are some easy-to-implement SEO techniques that are guaranteed to generate painting leads:
Organic search engine traffic is free, and it’s an important part of increasing the number of exclusive painting leads your business can generate. Also, how well your website ranks in Google directly impacts how well your Google Business Profile ranks on Google Maps.